Frequently asked questions
Everything you need to know about the AI
What are the license requirements for Microsoft 365 Copilot?
A license for Microsoft 365 E3 or Microsoft 365 E5, along with a specific license for Microsoft Copilot for Microsoft 365, is necessary for Microsoft 365 users to access the service.
Is CoPilot part of the E5 subscription?
No, CoPilot is not included in the E5 package. It’s an add-on that comes at an additional cost, irrespective of the Microsoft 365 package you are currently subscribed to. This means that even if you are on the E5 plan, you will need to budget for CoPilot separately if you decide to
Does Microsoft 365 Copilot differ from ChatGPT? Unlike a search engine,
ChatGPT lacks the capability to browse the internet, which may result in responses based on outdated information. This limitation can lead to inaccuracies or “hallucinations,” underscoring the importance of reviewing and editing the information provided by ChatGPT. Like other chat-based AI tools, crafting questions may require a trial-and-error approach to obtain the desired answers.
In contrast, Microsoft 365 Copilot serves as an AI-driven digital assistant, offering personalized support across various tasks. Going beyond merely connecting with ChatGPT, Copilot integrates the capabilities of large language models (LLMs) with user data from the Microsoft Graph, encompassing elements like calendars, emails, chats, documents, meetings, and more within Microsoft 365 apps. This integration transforms your words into a highly potent productivity tool.
How does Microsoft Copilot function within Microsoft 365?
When a user submits an input prompt in an application like Word or PowerPoint, Copilot receives it.
• Copilot then undergoes a pre-processing step known as grounding, enhancing prompt specificity to provide pertinent and actionable answers tailored to the user’s specific task. The prompt may incorporate text from input files or other content identified by Copilot, and this refined prompt is sent to the Language Model (LLM) for processing. Copilot only accesses data that a user already has authorization for, as determined by existing Microsoft 365 role-based access controls.
• The response from the LLM is received by Copilot, which subsequently performs post-processing tasks. This includes additional grounding calls to Microsoft Graph, responsible AI checks, security and compliance reviews, privacy assessments,
• Copilot delivers the processed response back to the application, allowing the user to review and evaluate the provided information.
Microsoft Copilot for Microsoft 365 orchestrates these advanced services iteratively, ensuring that the results are organizationally relevant by contextualizing them based on your organizational data.
What features does Microsoft 365 Copilot include?
- Copilot in Word | Transform your writing with efficiency and creativity using Copilot in Word. Create, summarize, comprehend, refine, and elevate your documents with enhanced capabilities. Visualize and transform text into a table, add onto existing prompts, draft a document by referencing up to 3 documents, and discover information about your document.
- Copilot in PowerPoint | Turn your ideas into stunning presentations with Copilot in PowerPoint. As your storytelling partner, Copilot can transform existing written documents into decks complete with speaker notes and sources. Start a new presentation from a simple prompt or outline, condense lengthy presentations, and use natural language commands to adjust layouts, reformat text, and perfectly time animations.
- Copilot in Excel | Work alongside Copilot in Excel to analyze and explore your data. Ask questions about your data set in natural language, and Copilot will reveal correlations, propose what-if scenarios, and suggest new formulas. Generate models based on your questions to explore your data without modifying it. Identify trends, create powerful visualizations, or ask for recommendations to drive different outcomes.
- Copilot in Outlook | Stay on top of your inbox and create impactful communication in less time with Copilot in Outlook. Summarize email threads, jump to the source of the content, and review suggested action items, replies, and follow-up meetings. Choose options for length and tone when drafting an email.
- Copilot in Teams | Recap conversations, organize key discussion points, and summarize key actions in Teams. Get answers to specific questions, catch up on missed content, create meeting agendas based on chat history, identify individuals for follow-ups, and schedule the next check-in.
- Copilot in Loop | Unlock the power of shared thinking with Copilot in Loop. Co-create, get up-to-speed, and stay in sync with your teammates. Collaboratively iterate with Copilot, co-create prompts, generate tables for team projects, catch up where teammates left off, summarize page content, and generate recaps for handoffs.
- Copilot Whiteboard | Kickstart and accelerate your ideation process with Copilot in Whiteboard. Generate, categorize, and summarize your ideas with ease.
- Copilot OneNote | Revolutionize your planning and organization with Copilot in OneNote. Stay better prepared and proactively take action from notes. Gain deeper insights by asking comprehensive questions, generating content summaries, and requesting Copilot to create content for you.
- Microsoft 365 Chat | Accessible via multiple surfaces, Microsoft 365 Chat is your single destination to tackle any task. Combining the power of Large Language Models with the Internet, work content, and context, it helps you draft content, catch up on missed information, and get answers to questions via open prompts.
- Intelligent Search | Unlock the ability to search data in your Dataverse applications with Intelligent Search. Experience an intuitive natural language search right from Copilot.
- Power Platform Connectors | Access real-time data from critical business and personal productivity applications within the Copilot experience. Benefit from a growing catalog of Copilot-enabled Power Platform Connectors.
- Microsoft Graph Connectors | Connect external data sources to Microsoft Graph using connectors. Add up to 500 items per Copilot license, benefiting from deep retrieval of content in Copilot, Search, and other intelligent experiences using the semantic index.
- Microsoft Purview | Extend Microsoft Purview capabilities provided by your Microsoft 365 E3/E5 subscriptions to Copilot data and interactions.
What is the Microsoft 365 Copilot semantic index?
The semantic index enables a conceptual understanding of data through vectorized indices. Unlike traditional keyword indices, vectors in multi-dimensional spaces allow for fast and accurate similarity searches based on semantic or contextual meaning. The semantic index respects security and organizational policies, ensuring that user queries are always in the security context of the user. Features include improved Microsoft 365 Chat integration and semantic search capabilities that capture the semantic meaning of queries. The index is automatically enabled for organizations with Microsoft 365 Copilot and eligible licenses, with user-level and tenant-level indexing for personalized and collaborative data. Privacy, compliance, and security considerations are central to the design, and administrators can manage the index through the Microsoft 365 admin center, with features such as excluding SharePoint Online sites, configuring item insights, and incorporating third-party information via Graph connectors. The semantic index supports various file types and maintains data within the company’s tenant, adhering to established security and privacy policies. Additional features include Microsoft Purview Customer Key (BYOK) support and information protection options for data minimalization and reducing oversharing.
What are the fundamental prerequisites for Microsoft 365 Copilot?
- Microsoft Enterprise Application
- Entra ID account
- OneDrive Account
- Teams Account
- Outlook Account
What is Azure AI and how can it benefit my business?
Azure AI is a collection of cloud-based services and tools offered by Microsoft, designed to help businesses implement artificial intelligence solutions. These services can automate processes, enhance customer interactions, provide data-driven insights, and ultimately lead to increased efficiency and innovation.
How does Azure AI differ from other AI platforms?
Azure AI stands out due to its seamless integration with other Microsoft products, comprehensive security features, and its wide range of AI capabilities including machine learning, cognitive services, and AI-driven analytics. It’s particularly beneficial for businesses already using Microsoft’s ecosystem.
What are some common use cases of Azure AI in business?
Common use cases include predictive maintenance in manufacturing, personalized customer experiences in retail, fraud detection in finance, and patient outcome prediction in healthcare, among others.
Can Azure AI be integrated with existing business systems?
Yes, Azure AI is designed to integrate smoothly with existing business systems, including CRM, ERP, and various data storage solutions. This allows businesses to leverage AI capabilities without overhauling their current IT infrastructure.
What is OpenAI and how is it related to Azure AI?
OpenAI is an AI research lab that develops advanced AI technologies. Microsoft has partnered with OpenAI to bring some of these innovative AI capabilities, like advanced natural language processing, into the Azure platform.
How can my business benefit from OpenAI services in Azure AI?
OpenAI services in Azure AI, such as GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer), offer advanced language understanding and generation capabilities. This can enhance customer service through sophisticated chatbots, improve content creation, and provide deep insights from large volumes of text.
What level of technical expertise is required to use Azure AI?
Azure AI is designed to be accessible to users with varying levels of technical expertise. Tools like Azure Machine Learning Studio offer a no-code/low-code environment, while other services provide more in-depth and customizable options for experienced data scientists and developers.
Is Azure AI scalable for small businesses or large enterprises?
Yes, Azure AI is highly scalable and can cater to the needs of both small businesses and large enterprises. It allows organizations to start with small deployments and scale up as their needs grow.
What are the security measures in place for Azure AI?
Azure AI incorporates Microsoft’s robust security measures, including data encryption, compliance with international standards, and advanced threat protection to ensure data privacy and security.
How does Azure AI support decision-making processes in business?
Azure AI supports decision-making by providing actionable insights through data analytics, predictive modeling, and trend analysis, enabling businesses to make informed decisions based on real-time data.
Can Azure AI be used for custom AI solution development?
Absolutely. Azure AI provides a flexible platform that businesses can use to develop custom AI solutions tailored to their specific needs and challenges.
What kind of support can I expect when implementing Azure AI in my business?
Microsoft offers extensive support for Azure AI users, including documentation, tutorials, community forums, and the option for direct support from Microsoft’s technical team or certified partners.